Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tough times

This week has been tougher than usual, physically and mentally. My work has been very intense and will be for the next 24 days. For those that don't know, I am working to get the local school systems' budget passed, which is requesting an additional $35million and require a tax increase. Our board took the very unique action of passing a resolution fully in support of this budget so that means all of my energy and time that is not dedicated to taking care of family, must be dedicated to getting this passed. The business community has a huge stake in getting this passed, and our community does too, but unfortunately it has been an uphill battle in this very conservative county with a mayor who is adamantly opposed. This is really my first time in a political campaign where I am fully invested and pushing on all fronts, all stakeholders, all avenues to get this accomplished. I have to remind myself to not take things personally, but it is hard when it impacts you and the future education of your 4 kids too. (If you're interested in learning more about this, go to http://www.bethebestknox.com/.)

So work has been emotionally and mentally draining, the boys are good but towards the end of the week got sick, in the middle of the week the nanny declared she is quitting to take care of her sick son, so that meant I immediately had to find and interview nannies by myself because, oh yeah, Nate went away for 3 nights/4 days for work. Phew. Just typing all of this makes me tired.

There have been mornings this week where I feel sick to my stomach because of everything going on and the imbalance of pressure on me. I go to bed exhausted but all amped up because I know the immense challenge before me the next day. So I suck it up and press on because there is no time to sulk and feeling sorry for myself doesn't help a thing.

As I was speed-walking across downtown to make a luncheon, I realized everything in my life before now was just preparation for this moment. I look back and think of all the physical and mental struggles with which I've been faced: family divorces, moves, state tournaments in basketball and softball, break-ups, the summer I took the job at the Chamber, took the bar, and then got married, having all those babies in 3 years, etc. Those were all hurdles I faced and now I am stronger because of them. When people ask how I do what I'm doing now, it's hard to explain because I have the strength of all of those experiences behind me. You just do it.

But all those things were "practice" for my life. And now the stakes are so much higher. I only get one shot at making sure these kids are healthy and happy. I may only have one shot to get 1 of the top 100 largest school system's 5-year plan funded and give my and other local kids a chance to compete against their peers in the world. So I will try my hardest and when this experience is over, it will prepare me for the next.

For now, I will remain grateful for those 4 smiling faces I am greeted with when I get home in the evening. They make my world go round and make the toughest days just melt away.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! It is such an important challenge and the toll it's taking on the "soliders" is huge. It makes me want to redouble my efforts to talk to my commissioners again.
    You're doing an awesome job and your sweet babies will be sk proud of you when they figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I can't tell who you are posting this though, just says anonymous.

      Delete
    2. Grandma Evans said something that has always remained with me ... even though it was said to Nate's mom. And Sue has remembered this also. It was during one of Sue's many tough times - she was with my mother - and she turned to Grandma Evans and asked "What do I do now?!?" Grandma replied "You do what you have to do".

      And that's what you're doing. I can't imagine what all you're feeling and the stress and pressure .... but you're a very strong woman. An old song by Gloria Gainer "I Will Survive" helped me through some of my tough times. You will survive!! I love you!

      Aunt Gail

      Delete
    3. Thanks Aunt Gail. I am constantly in "do what you have to do" mode. It's the only way to go! Today the nanny calls and says all 4 boys have fevers and spots!!!

      Delete